The Antioch Baptist Church ministry began with seven people who shared a common vision to worship together and provide a Sunday School for their children. Those seven people began worshiping in their homes in early 1919. The Antioch Baptist Church was then founded on May 11, 1919. Worship services were conducted at various rented facilities in southeast Canton, for many years.
In 1926 Antioch purchased its first building located on 9th Street NE. Under the pastorate of Wilburn M. Jackson, the location at 1103 7th Street NE was purchased in the late 1950's. Antioch has a rich heritage of Holy Spirit-led movements and innovation. Some of our innovative moves brought about discomfort and struggle to some of the members. Those members departed and founded two other area churches, The Jerusalem Baptist Church and Union Baptist Church in 1947 and 1956, respectively. Further changes and struggles within Jerusalem caused the birthing of another church, Greater Jerusalem Baptist Church, which later changed its' name and is now the Mt. Olive Baptist Church. Antioch has been the matriarch of a powerful movement of the church in Canton for many years.
Following the death of Pastor Jackson in 1961, W.C. Henderson was called to pastor the church in 1962. The ministry grew under Pastor Henderson and the old facility was remodeled, and new facilities built in 1977. The new facilities included a 500-seat sanctuary, classrooms, offices, restrooms, and storage. The 1990's brought about great transition with the retirement of Pastor Henderson, who served more than 31 years, and the calling of our current pastor, Richard L. Jordan.
Pastor Jordan is gifted to teach the Word of God, and has been using his gift to make disciples as he teaches us to prepare our hearts for God. Through this teaching, the tithes and offerings have doubled. Currently there are about 500+ members and more converts are on the way. On November 15, 2009, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, Pastor Richard L. Jordan and the Antioch family marched into their new church home at 1844 Ira Turpin Way NE.
Antioch is an exciting ministry on the move for God. Antioch still represents many generations of families, that are actively involved in the ministry. God has spoken to prepare us for five thousand (5000) disciples, changing and transitioning for future growth.